Take a trip around the Royal Doulton Pottery in Burslem and see artistry in action.During more than a century and a half Royal Doulton have gained a unique reputation for ceramic work of art.This mark which differs from B.7 by the omission of the crown was in use between 19. The bottom part only of this mark is found on smaller wares up to the present day and by itself is not a useful indication of date.Differing from B.7 by the addition of the words MADE IN ENGLAND, this mark was commonly in use after 1932.Hand-painted, and largely hand-painted, wares designed and decorated by Robert Allen and artists in his studios, were often given RA-numbers, written by hand, in addition to the usual trade-mark and any other number.Unfortunately many of the record books giving details are missing, but despite this what is available is interesting as giving some idea when pieces so numbered were designed.It was in use for all Fine Bone China products between 19 and is still used today on figures, animal models and other non-tableware Bone China products. piece with B.7 for example, will have been made before 1927 and probably before 1922.
The following numbers indicate the approximate periods during which the patterns so marked were first introduced.
Many pieces fortunately carry in addition to trade-mark and pattern number an impressed or printed indication of when they were made. The printed dates are usually indicated by Code Numbers beginning with and up to .
A simple way of calculating the date is to add the number in question to 1927.
Within ten years he had enlarged the factory three times, built a china works, taken on the largest and most gifted group of artists in the Potteries, and developed for Doulton a reputation for craftsmanship and artistry still identified with Royal Doulton today. The following are two typical examples found on the patterns Rouen and Kew. The printed or impressed word HOLBEIN is also found on some examples of this particular ware.
Between 1878 (when Henry and James Doulton acquired the major interest in the Pinder, Bourne factory in Nile Street, Burslem) and 1882 (when the name of the firm was changed to Doulton & Company, Burslem) existing Pinder, Bourne marks continued in use, such as the name in full: PINDER BOURNE CO.: and the initials P. Introduced in the latter part of 1901 to mark the grant of the Royal Warrant by King Edward VII together with the specific right to use the word ROYAL to designate Doulton products.
These hand-painted wares were not reproduced in great quantities and some items bearing RA-numbers would probably never have been repeated.